Wednesday, July 21, 2010

My New Passion


After a long long hiatus I finally decided to blog again, but for some unknown reason I can't open my old blog..... Maybe because it's been abandon for so long... (〃_ _)σ

So here comes this new blog just to share about some of my hobby, my opinion, and myself.

Starting this year I have a new hobby which is crochet or what most of Indonesian called hakken. At first it was my mom's hobby and I'm not really interested in it but after seeing her crocheting almost everyday I'm finally getting curious about it and now I really love crocheting!!

What is crochet?

Crochet is a process of creating fabric from yarn, thread, or other material strands using a crochet hook. The word is derived from the French word "crochet", meaning hook. People often confuse crochet with knitting. The two techniques do share common elements; for example, both crocheters and knitters utilize yarn to create their projects. It is possible to create similar types of projects with either technique: afghans, shawls, hats, scarves, etc.

At a glance, you can tell whether a person is knitting or crocheting by looking at the tools (s)he is using. If (s)he's using a hook, (s)he's crocheting; if she's using two pointed needles, or perhaps a circular knitting needle, (s)he's knitting.
Hooks can be made of materials such as metals, woods or plastic. Crochet hook from woods like bamboo is more soft and easy for your hand but it will bend over time while the ones from metals is more sturdy but hard on your hand and will get tired faster. Below is some of the metal crochet hook that I have, I don't have the one in bamboo or plastic yet.



There are different sizes of crochet hook, it is usually sold at craft store or hobby store, some uses number like 1, 2, 3 etc, some uses millimeter size like 1mm, 2mm, etc. The kinds that are sold at my local store usually are steel crochet hook with numbers and it isn't expensive only about $1-$2 (IDR 1000- IDR 2000) depending on the size. The imported crochet hooks are more expensive though and you can't get it easily at my place.

Source:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crochet
http://crochet.about.com/od/crochetterms/g/crochet-definition-what-is-crocheting.htm 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts and comments...
I won't bite ^^